Suggestions of Things to Give Up for Lent
by Phil Ressler
1. Fear of failure … you don’t succeed without experiencingfailure. Just make sure you fall forward.
2. Your comfort zone … it’s outside of comfort zones where new discoveries are made.
3. Feelings of unworthiness … you are fearfully and wonderfully made by our Creator.
4. Impatience … God’s timing is the perfect timing.
5. Retirement … as long as you are breathing, you are here for a reason. You have a purpose to influence others for Christ. Our work is not always tied to a paycheck.
6. People pleasing … You can’t please everyone anyway. There is only One you need to strive to please.
7. Comparison … you have your own unique contribution to make and there is no one else like you.
8. Blame … don’t pass the buck… take responsibility for your own actions.
9. Guilt… you are loved by Jesus and He forgives your sins. Today is a new day and the past is behind.
10. Overcommitment… do less better to accomplish more.
11. Lack of counsel… wise decisions are rarely made in a vacuum. Seek good counsel.
12. Impurity… live lives without blemish.
13. Entitlement… the world doesn’t owe you anything. God does not owe you anything. Live in humility and grace.
14. Apathy… life is too short not to care.
15. Negativity… look for the best in everything when it comes to others. Minimize any contact with people who are negative or toxic.
16. Hatred… do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
17. Spirit of poverty… believe that with God there is always more than enough and never a lack.
18. Going through the motions… the more you invest in yourself, the more you will get back.
19. Complaint… instead of contributing to the problem, be the solution.
20. The pursuit of happiness… God wants something greater and more lasting than happiness... it’s called JOY.
More suggestions next week.