Parish Reopening Update: 8/2/20
Our goal is to provide the solace of the church’s sacramental life in a timely and reasonable manner. The current situation in Illinois remains dangerous and fragile. As such, we make our plans with great caution with our highest priority being the health and well-being of the faithful of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish.
Here are the answers to many common questions about how the parish is operating during COVID-19:
When is Mass? How can I sign up to attend? Is the Mass offered in Spanish?
- Effective immediately the mass schedule is as follows: 8am (English) and 11 am (Spanish). Anyone who is English-speaking that was signed up for an 11am mass will be contacted by the parish office and offered the option to change your attendance to the 8am mass on the same weekend. Thank you for your understanding.
- The limit for both the 8am and 11am masses has been increased to 75 people in attendance.
- You may now sign up to attend mass two times (2) per month
- To register for the mass, go to either of the following: ololchicago.org or our parish Facebook page at “Our Lady of Lourdes Parish”. You are also welcome to call the rectory and ask to be placed on the list. Call 773-561-2141.
What should I know about staying safe during Mass?
- Please keep facemasks on at all times during the liturgies.
- Keep the mask on when you receive communion in the hand. After you receive communion, step 6 feet away from the minister or priest, remove your mask briefly, and receive communion using your other hand.
When can my child received her/his first communion?
- First communions will be scheduled in the Fall. Catechists and parents will be notified soon.
Volunteer opportunity updates
- We continue to seek volunteers to help with greeting, ushering, cleaning, and sanitizing the church for our liturgical services. As a reminder, we are required to clean and sanitize the church each time there is any gathering of people in the church.
- If you are interested in volunteering, you must be available for a variety of services (not just the Mass). Volunteers can expect a delay of a few weeks before signing up and being able to volunteer, as training must be completed.
- Health and age requirements for volunteers: It is recommended that volunteers be under age 65 and without underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, lung disease, undergoing cancer treatment, etc.; however, if individuals in those groups choose to volunteer understanding the inherent risks, they may do so. Volunteers over the age of 65 are required to wear face shields in addition to face masks while volunteering. Shields will be furnished by the parish and volunteers will be responsible for maintaining and cleaning their shields, and to wear it each time they volunteer.
- High school students who wish to volunteer may do so for set-up teams or cleaning teams, provided they have permission from their parent or guardian.
- To sign up to volunteer, please go to ololchicago.org or our official Facebook page at “Our Lady of Lourdes Parish,” or call the rectory at 773-561-2141 and ask to be placed on the volunteer sign up.
What’s Next? What will the Fall look like at OLOL?
- Please be on the lookout for a Virtual Town Hall with Father Mike, as well as lay leaders in the parish for updates on the parish reopening, parish finances, religious education, and MORE. Don’t miss it!
Fr. Dominic and I continue to pray for your health and hope in these continuing months of COVID-19.