The Sacrament of Marriage
Congratulations to you at this blessed time in your lives. Our Lady of Lourdes Parish welcomes you as you consider celebrating this special moment in your lives. We look forward to meeting you and beginning your preparations for this blessed Sacrament.
There are a few steps to get you started.
Please contact the Rectory at (773) 561-2141 and speak with one of the priests to discuss the process for celebrating the Sacrament of Marriage. Please leave a message for one of the priests or you can contact Fr. Mike Shanahan at email@example.com. We ask that you call the Rectory approximately a year to half a year (not less than six months) before your intended wedding date.
Here are a few of the steps for preparing you to celebrate this blessed time.
Procedures for the Catholic Church
- If you are Catholic, please obtain a re-issued copy of your baptismal certificate and confirmation certificates. These certificates can be obtained at the Church in which you originally celebrated them. Please note that these copies must be newly issued originals dated no more than 6 months prior to your wedding date.
- If the Baptism took place outside of the continental USA, please furnish a stamped, addressed envelope to the church of the Baptism Certificate and a letter of translation, so that we may complete the required marriage notification.
- We welcome those from all faith traditions. Please contact the priest for your specific arrangements
- Under normal circumstances, the bride and groom will arrange for two people to sign affidavits attesting to your freedom to marry. Usually parents, other relatives or friends of long-standing can complete these forms.
- You are asked to participate in a formal program for preparation. This program is called Pre-Cana. You can find information about this program at www.familyministries.com. After you have attended Pre-Cana, please submit the certificate from your marriage preparation program to Our Lady of Lourdes. It will be included in your marriage file.
- We also encourage a couple to take the Catholic Couple Check-Up. This is on online tool used for gaining a deeper awareness of your strengths and growing edges in your relationship as you move toward marriage. The Catholic Couple Check-Up is available at familiyministries.org with the Archdiocese of Chicago.
- A marriage license is required for those who have not been married civilly prior to their sacramental marriage.
Procedures for the State of Illinois
You must obtain your marriage license no sooner than 60 days before your wedding date and no later than 1 day prior to that date. Apply for the license (fee - $60 cash ) at the Office of the Clerk of Cook County:
- 118 North Clark Street (Lower Level), Chicago, 60601. 312.603.7790
- 1311 South Maybrook Square, Maywood 60153. 708.865.6010
- 5600 Old Orchard Road, Skokie 60077. 847.470.7233
- 10220 S. 76th Avenue, Bridgeview Rm. 238, 60455. 708.974.6150
- 16501 S. Kedzie, Markham 60426 708.210.4150
- 2121 Euclid Ave. Rm.238,Rolling Meadows 60008. 847.818.2850
Note: A license obtained in Cook County cannot be used in any other county or state.
Both parties must appear in person and have proper identification to serve as proof of identity and age (driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate). For additional information, call the office in Chicago.
After you are married, the Priest will sign your marriage license, and we will send it to the County Clerk’s Office. You can obtain a copy of your marriage license by contacting the County Clerk’s Office 15 business days after your wedding.